Artemision Magazine to showcase minority art

Magazine establishes digital platform to depict struggles of minorities in West MI

Kaelyn Sourya, Contributing Writer

While online, you scroll through miles of social media posts, type dozens of texts a minute, and watch countless hours of 15-20 second videos. Though how likely is it, for an average person on the Internet, to view a gallery of breathtaking artwork and heartfelt writing through a magazine? Uniquely, Artemision Magazine, founded recently in West Michigan, is emphasizing the original take of showcasing minority art in the digital world. For their first installment, every poem, comic, novel, or picture will depict various struggles and obstacles that minorities have experienced or seen in the Holland community. With the prominence of social justice movements in 2020, Artemision Magazine was established to produce discussions about diversity, equality, and equity today.

“Our own experiences and the experiences of many other people in Holland who live here as minorities have made us see the need for an outlet to showcase the diversity in our town,” commented lead designer Camila Lepe Monge.

Developing this magazine was also inspired by organizations in the arts including Cultureworks, to provide the availability of art for anyone interested. Artemision hopes to continue to foster an art-accessible environment to a wide range of diverse students as much as possible through this project. Among the minorities who would like to be involved, Artemision is planning to release their first issue by late June/mid-July to allow open flexibility with artwork submissions.

This outlet for minority experiences was also created to collect funds and support local artists in the community. Artemision uses the convenience of a magazine format to gather donations for nonprofit organizations supporting minorities around Holland. They select groups to donate to, based on the criteria of transparency and commitment in helping the community. The Artemision team additionally focuses on benefiting the area in other ways from the magazine format. It quite necessarily provides an advantage for the artists involved, as it is an example of a more professional background experience for art career paths.

Currently, with the subject matter of minority experiences in Holland, it is key that the outreach initiatives are proven successful before moving on to bigger plans. “As for the area we cover [in Holland], we might think about expanding depending on our future opportunities and capacity,” said Monge. Through Instagram/Facebook platforms and flyers, the Artemision team is doing as much as they can to make a difference in their community. To do so, it is highly encouraged for anyone who would like to speak out about these issues, to submit their artwork. For more information on Artemision Magazine click here: https://artemisart01.wixsite.com/artemisionmagazine