Hold onto your caps! Graduation is almost here!

MCC holding commencement ceremony for Class of 2021

Lance Klemple, Contributing Writer

Spring is blossoming and soon Muskegon Community College’s Class of 2021 will be making their mark on the world! MCC will be holding a Commencement Ceremony for the graduating Class of 2021 on May 5th starting at 5 pm. Nearly 150 students have signed up to participate in this ceremony, where students will be able to wear their cap and gown and drive up to a stage, where they will have their name read, and receive their diploma.

A professional photographer will be capturing these precious moments on stage, and portraits will be also be taken off stage. Alumni and Donor Relations Manager Rachel Gorman said in addition to the ceremony graduates should expect a few more surprises. “We are planning to have some fun activities in the Stevenson Lot. Jay will be there for photos, and we are hoping to have a life-size cut out of Dr. Nesbary for photos,” Gorman indicated.  “In the parking lot, in a safe manner, is going to be a great opportunity for families to take photos on campus, and graduates to take photos with their classmates.”

Gorman stressed during the ceremony only one vehicle per family will be allowed due to the route of the ceremony. “No caravans, please,” Gorman added. Additionally, guests are limited to the capacity of the vehicle.

The pandemic has brought many unexpected challenges, but MCC is ready to make accommodations for a safe, fun graduation this year. The ceremony will be live-streamed on Facebook for friends and family members to watch from home. March 30th was the deadline to sign up, however, there is still a sign-up sheet available to those who want to participate. Students who have already completed the sign-up sheet will expect to get their graduation outfit, gowns and all, around the week of April 12th. They will also receive the information sheet needed for additional information regarding the event via email.

Dr. John Selmon, Provost and Executive Vice President of MCC, says to students, “The commencement ceremony is one of the most important events that we host for students each year. It is special, and we want it to be! Students, parents, friends, and other family members have the most wonderful time celebrating the accomplishments of their loved ones. Our faculty, staff and administrators, Board of Trustee members enjoy this moment as much as the graduates. Even though we have challenges with the pandemic, we still want to have a modified ceremony (safely) this year in honor of our graduates and their achievements. It is an exciting time, and we want the community to come out and celebrate with the graduates while adhering to the enhanced safety protocols that we have in place for everyone’s protection. These memories will last a lifetime! Congratulations to the 2021 Graduates!”

The Bay Window’s contributing writers and photographers will be covering MCC’s 2021 commencement ceremonies on the day of the event. Look for a full feature on our website and social media after the event.