MCC Begins Search for New President

Aaron Petersen, Contributing Editor

For the first time in 13 years, the Muskegon Community College Board of Trustees will begin its search for the 11th President of the institution. The candidate will have high expectations to live up to in the wake of longtime President Dr. Dale Nesbary’s retirement after the current academic year. 

I hope the next President is a visionary collaborative leader who has the background and experience to continue to lead MCC as a valued member in Muskegon County and West Michigan,” said Dr. John Selmon, Provost and Executive Vice President of MCC. 

The screening for candidate applications began on February 25. The selected individual will be announced, according to Dr. Selmon, “Before July 1, 2022, for sure,” the same date Dr. Nesbary will officially retire. 

“I have no specific expectations for the next President, and I would not presume to influence the incoming president or institution to move in a specific direction,” Dr. Nesbary commented. “From my perspective, the College remains in very good hands with the faculty staff, students, and Board in place to support each other, in this regard.” 

Qualifications for the role of President must include the following accolades or experience: An established reputation of high integrity, honesty, and trust; Demonstrated ability to provide visionary leadership; Preferably five years of experience minimum within a senior level administrative role in higher education; Possess a master’s degree from an accredited college or university; Experience in teaching or student services is preferred. 

“I am fully confident that the Board, Search Committee, and college community will select the absolute best candidate to serve as the Eleventh President,” said Dr. Nesbary. 

Under Dr. Nesbary’s guidance, MCC has overseen the approval of over $55 million in funding towards facility updates and investments. The second-longest running President in the institution’s history has also secured over $20 million in grants. 

The new President will also help carry out MCC’s latest five-year strategic plan, which spans from the academic years of 2022 to 2026. This plan aims to help make MCC stand amongst the best community colleges in the nation with three primary goals in mind: Access, Equity, and Excellence.